Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Team B Outing



Finally! My big day, or rather, our big day has come! 1st May 2006, Labour Day aka May Day. This was the day of my church choir Team B outing at Symphony Heights. Its also the day that the finals of the Showtime Talentime was to be held. Total there were 3 Soloists and 3 Groups. Soloists: Emily, Sofyan and Weiye. Groups: Dvox, which mean "The Voice" in Latin (Sorry Jieying (MPYC) that I "stole" the name! ;p heeheehee), JEW and LKJ

I am part of Dvox, an a cappella group that uses voices to showcase music. This pic was taken during the audition some weeks back. Dvox consists of (from left) Terence, Sofyan (he looks so much like Will Pan! But he is from Indonesia), Rouxin and me (there was another guy, Seng Chong, who wasn't able to attend the audition that day).That day I sang the soprano part as I had quite a serious sore throat. But on the actual day, I was the main lead.

On the finals, we were the first group to perform. The song we sang was Turn The Beat Around by Gloria Estefan. It was a very good song to showcase our vocals to the audience, we had parts (Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass parts, aka SATB) and beat-boxing with a soloist that made the whole song sound superb. Rehearsal was a good one, but on the actual performance itself, our performance was not that fantastic as the tempo was so fast that I was rapping instead of singing. I was very surprised that we were given standing appraisal. The comments by the judges were very good and we were relieved that our own performance is over.

The best part is, when the judges were making a decision in the other room, we were jamming in the room we were in. I played the accoustic guitar, Kelvin played the electric guitar and Joekim played the drums. We played and sang "Now That You're Near", just like what we normally do during church service. It was a very fun time jamming with people I've never jam with before (Normally I'll play the keyboard or sing).

Minutes later, the results were out. Winner for Solo Category, Sofyan! He deserved it was he has a fantastic voice and he didn't use a mike that day! For Groups Category, its Kelvin's group (LKJ). I wasn't surprised as I think they did well and deserved to win. After that, we had our finale item, a song called That's What Friend Are For. It was a very meaningful song about friendships.

After the whole thing, me, Weiye, Barnet, Suann, Ying Ying and Isaac went to West Mall Mac for dinner and fellowship. We had lots of fun chatting and our laughter filled the 2nd floor of the restaurant. At about 9plus, we separated and went our ways back home.

It was a day of fun, singing, laughter and jamming. These are fantastic memories and that's precisely why I penned it down and share with my friends...

No comments: